Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Mon May 23 16:18:17 PDT 2016

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 11:51:53PM +0200, Tomasz Rola wrote:
> So you are happy with systemd, fine. And you claim it is
> great. Cool. Myself, I could not care less if it is good or bad, given
> that I have no technical need it could help me to with. But I have to
> care, because judging how things seem to be I expect there will be
> growing pressure to lock Linux in. It is possible - for a while - to
> have init processes as they used to be, but this is not going to
> last. Gentoo and Slackware will have to adopt systemd too, sooner or
> later. And everybody who is going to run Linux kernel will have to run
> systemd.
>
> At least this is how I see it.

But what's wrong with that?  Before you were all running a fork of init
scripts, all hacked up in odd ways that were not compatible across any
distro.  What has changed here?

Would you rather run something as pid-1 that only a few developers have
ever looked at (i.e. your specific fork), or one that hundreds of
developers have looked at and are maintaining?

thanks,

greg k-h