Teh Entar-Nick nick at teh.entar.net
Tue May 17 12:50:04 PDT 2016

Ruben Safir:
> > in different major distros and how it is really hard for developers
> > to target all of the different ones for their software (think apache
> > startup scripts,
>
> There is NOTHING wrong with my apache scripts and they have worked for
> decades.

Hold up.

The apache2 init scripts were one of the most embarrassing warts in
Debian for the past decade at least.  Unmaintained init script code that
couldn't handle graceful control of apache on a loaded system was part
of why many folks considered this the last straw and jumped ship to a
newer httpd.

I'm sure they worked great for you on your personal server, but for
production workloads they couldn't handle a server that was swamped with
requests.  They couldn't reliably *shut down* apache, and thus the
standard `/etc/init.d/<gubble> restart` DWIM invocation stopped becoming
reliable.

I haven't got a horse in the init systems race, but the apache init
scripts themselves were shameful and neglected.