Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Tue May 17 07:19:27 PDT 2016

begin Ruben I Safir quotation of Tue, May 17, 2016 at 04:50:57AM -0400:

> >   https://joeyh.name/blog/entry/a_programmable_alarm_clock_using_systemd/
>
> cron doesn't work?

On a sleeping Linux laptop?  No.  If you want to
do it without systemd, you need a separate tool.
Here you go:

  http://linux.die.net/man/8/rtcwake

And here's the systemd way to do it:

  WakeSystem=true

What's the non-systemd way?

> > Why not?  Why would I want to reduce the chances that
> > I can help someone with basic administration tasks on
> > a random Linux system?
>
> This is also an example of one of the reasons why systemd has to go.
> It is making peoples brains dull to the point where they all sound like
> they come from Apple headquarters.

The company that makes the computers that most of
the creative people I talk to are using, by default?

In the 1990s, when a lot of us learned Linux, the
average home or office computer was pretty crappy.
I got Linux, and I was all like, "Hey, I can multitask
and not have my computer crash!  And users of other
OSs can't! Awesome!"

Now what's the point?

Don't all speak up at once -- there is still a lot
of great projects that are possible if you have a
a cross-platform kernel with drivers for everything
from bargain bin devices up to Enterprise Solutions.

But I'm not going to learn a vintage init system
because it enables me to do the stuff I did in
the 1990s.

I'm not dogmatically pro-systemd, and if there's
something useful that you can do with an alternate
init system, I might learn it.  Ideas?

> So what are you telling me Don, that if I set up 100 desktop systems
> in front of you that you couldn't turn on sshd  on them ALL without
> breaking a sweat?
>
> Why would you say this?

I can find and check the configuration file, and
probably Google/cut/paste the right command to start
sshd, but I probably wouldn't trust myself to do all
the tweaky stuff right (is it set to come back up on
reboot, is the right port open, do I have the latest
security update) anywhere but Debian or Fedora.

--
Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org>
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/