Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Mon May 16 21:30:23 PDT 2016

begin Ruben I Safir quotation of Mon, May 16, 2016 at 05:55:59PM -0400:

> Everything systemd does is bad and there is NO WAY that systemd can do what
> my custom shell scripts do....exect that it can call my shell scripts.

And call them from a flexible set of places. How would
you hook up a shell script to PowerTOP without it?

  http://blog.christophersmart.com/2016/05/08/automatic-power-saving-on-a-linux-laptop-with-powertop-and-systemd/

How would you write a shell script to wake up the
system before running?

  https://joeyh.name/blog/entry/a_programmable_alarm_clock_using_systemd/

> The stated purpose of systemd is make all Linux distros look the same...
> that is straight out of Potterings mouth.
>
> I don't support that effort and neither should you,

Why not?  Why would I want to reduce the chances that
I can help someone with basic administration tasks on
a random Linux system?  If somebody posts about not
being able to ssh in, now I can ask for the output of
"systemctl status sshd" even if they're running some
distribution I don't know (and I only really know
Fedora, Debian, and enough CentOS to install EPEL and
pretend it's Fedora.)

(Are there fewer and fewer active Linux distributions
these days?  Active as in they do security updates for
base packages in a less-than-scary amount of time?)

--
Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org>
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/