Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Mon May 16 19:32:36 PDT 2016

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 04:18:13PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 05:55:59PM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:
> > The stated purpose of systemd is make all Linux distros look the same...
> > that is straight out of Potterings mouth.
>
> Not just his, many others, including myself.

Just his.  And what he has created is a total clusterfuck.

> And that's a very good thing, if you don't understand the horrid mess
> that has lived at that low layer for decades,

It is great and should never be messed with.  It didn't need to be made
uniformed, especially is such an imcompantent fashion.  there wwas nothing
wrong with it for decades, and it could and will continue for decades more
after systemd is dead and burried.

>  and is totally different
> in different major distros and how it is really hard for developers to
> target all of the different ones for their software (think apache
> startup scripts,

There is NOTHING wrong with my apache scripts and they have worked for
decades.

> how do you write a single one for all distros?)

Seems they've done pretty well with /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start.

Or you can start it by hand.

Or you can write your own.

There was no problem here until systemd got involved and made it impossible to
stop apache.

> then
> you completely miss the point of why systemd was created.

No I didn't  Iwas created so that all linux systems, regardless of distro
could be controlled by a central authority, preferably one at redhat.

> > I don't support that effort and neither should you,
>
> I totally support that effort,

Well stop because your killing Linux.

> And it's freed up your distro developer's time to focus on other more
> important things than mucking around in the low levels of things, trying
> to package up daemons in a way that works properly for their specific
> init.rc layout and logic and helper scripts.  They can fix bugs, work on
> upstream making things better, and lots of other wonderful things that
> they now are doing.
>
> Yes, it's a learning curve when your favorite distro moves over to it,
> but be honest, the majority of the layout, structure, and logic, came
> from Debian.

Ummm no.  But aside from that, Debian is not a brillantly built distro either.

> So much so that in a way, the Debian structure "won" and
> is now in all distros.  Why wouldn't you want that?
>
> If you want to learn yet-another-way to enable networking on your
> distro, great, have fun without systemd, all of the rest of us will just
> learn it once, and have that skill transfer to all others automatically.

There is no "all the rest of us"  there is just people like you and the
rest of US.

> Have fun with openrc, I've used it for many years, and haven't missed it
> at all.

That is just a pitty you have abandoned that.

Seriously, you need to dump systemd and us a FREE os.