Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Mon May 16 16:18:13 PDT 2016

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 05:55:59PM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:
> The stated purpose of systemd is make all Linux distros look the same...
> that is straight out of Potterings mouth.

Not just his, many others, including myself.

And that's a very good thing, if you don't understand the horrid mess
that has lived at that low layer for decades, and is totally different
in different major distros and how it is really hard for developers to
target all of the different ones for their software (think apache
startup scripts, how do you write a single one for all distros?) then
you completely miss the point of why systemd was created.

> I don't support that effort and neither should you,

I totally support that effort, just look at how much easier it has made
all of the application developer's lives.

And it's freed up your distro developer's time to focus on other more
important things than mucking around in the low levels of things, trying
to package up daemons in a way that works properly for their specific
init.rc layout and logic and helper scripts.  They can fix bugs, work on
upstream making things better, and lots of other wonderful things that
they now are doing.

Yes, it's a learning curve when your favorite distro moves over to it,
but be honest, the majority of the layout, structure, and logic, came
from Debian.  So much so that in a way, the Debian structure "won" and
is now in all distros.  Why wouldn't you want that?

If you want to learn yet-another-way to enable networking on your
distro, great, have fun without systemd, all of the rest of us will just
learn it once, and have that skill transfer to all others automatically.

Have fun with openrc, I've used it for many years, and haven't missed it
at all.

greg k-h