Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Mon May 16 14:55:59 PDT 2016

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 01:26:34PM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> begin /dev/rob0 quotation of Mon, May 16, 2016 at 11:46:27AM -0500:
>
> > Nevertheless, systemd is making it difficult for GNU/Linux
> > distributors to continue without systemd.  You [Greg] mentioned
> > Slackware upthread, and I know that Slackware is feeling the pinch.
> > I'm sure that's directly related to the unusually long time we're
> > seeing since the previous Slackware release.
>
> It's not systemd making it difficult for distributions
> to continue without systemd.  It's upstream software
> (for a good example, see the "hplip" package in
> Rick's article.)
>
>  * Package has some random init-related problem.
>
>  * Someone writes or contributes a systemd-related
>    solution.
>
>  * Nobody has any real issues with the solution.
>
>  * The package comes to depend on systemd.
>
> Hard to argue with, since it means that the package
> maintainers are now maintaining one line in a systemd
> unit file instead of some shell script, so they can
> spend more time on work that solves problems for
> their users.
>
> > > And again people, this is linux-elitists, how "elite" are you if
> > > you complain about having to learn a new tool?
> >
> > Yes, I can learn *BSD if I choose to do it, and I already have some
> > insight into non-GNU implementations of various tools.  I'd rather
> > stay with Linux, but you're quite right, no one is forcing me to
> > remain.
> >
> > That said, I'm not as vehemently opposed to systemd on end-user
> > machines, so I might stay with Linux laptops and move to a BSD for
> > other uses.
>
> So far I haven't seen a good reason to learn 2
> different init systems -- systemd for laptops
> and basically-stock VMs, and something else for
> custom servers.  I figure I can work better with 1.1x
> systemd skills than with 0.95x skills in 2 different
> init systems.  (Basically the same reason I stick
> with a couple of basic Linux distributions.)

Really, that was what SuSE said.  They said they hated systemd but the amount of
time they needed to bring new shell scripts up to date with every release
convinced them to change.

and you know what, with all that time they are now producing the worst and
buggiest OS's they ever created.... tah dah.

Everything systemd does is bad and there is NO WAY that systemd can do what
my custom shell scripts do....exect that it can call my shell scripts.

The stated purpose of systemd is make all Linux distros look the same...
that is straight out of Potterings mouth.

I don't support that effort and neither should you,