Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Mon May 16 13:26:34 PDT 2016

begin /dev/rob0 quotation of Mon, May 16, 2016 at 11:46:27AM -0500:

> Nevertheless, systemd is making it difficult for GNU/Linux
> distributors to continue without systemd.  You [Greg] mentioned
> Slackware upthread, and I know that Slackware is feeling the pinch.
> I'm sure that's directly related to the unusually long time we're
> seeing since the previous Slackware release.

It's not systemd making it difficult for distributions
to continue without systemd.  It's upstream software
(for a good example, see the "hplip" package in
Rick's article.)

 * Package has some random init-related problem.

 * Someone writes or contributes a systemd-related
   solution.

 * Nobody has any real issues with the solution.

 * The package comes to depend on systemd.

Hard to argue with, since it means that the package
maintainers are now maintaining one line in a systemd
unit file instead of some shell script, so they can
spend more time on work that solves problems for
their users.

> > And again people, this is linux-elitists, how "elite" are you if
> > you complain about having to learn a new tool?
>
> Yes, I can learn *BSD if I choose to do it, and I already have some
> insight into non-GNU implementations of various tools.  I'd rather
> stay with Linux, but you're quite right, no one is forcing me to
> remain.
>
> That said, I'm not as vehemently opposed to systemd on end-user
> machines, so I might stay with Linux laptops and move to a BSD for
> other uses.

So far I haven't seen a good reason to learn 2
different init systems -- systemd for laptops
and basically-stock VMs, and something else for
custom servers.  I figure I can work better with 1.1x
systemd skills than with 0.95x skills in 2 different
init systems.  (Basically the same reason I stick
with a couple of basic Linux distributions.)

--
Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org>
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/