Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Mon May 16 12:39:58 PDT 2016

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 03:03:41PM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:

> > > Or we can just get rid of systemd
> >
> > What specifically are you not liking about it?

> > > Actually, NOT.  Unless Pottering works for all distros now.
> >
> > Do you think that somehow only 1 person did all of this work?  Come on
> > now, that's looney.  Look at the author list of systemd, it included
> > developers from _all_ distros.
> >

> No I don't he did like what?  80% of it?

Nope.

How many different people do you think contributed to systemd, without
going and looking at the source repo?  10?  20?  30?  I'll let you guess
to see how close you are...

> > > What will happen when Watson takes over and exploits systemd and takes over
> > > all those android phones....using big data from the clouds...
> >
> > systemd is not on your android phone, yet, give me time :)
>

> THAT I have no doubt, and THAT IS EXACTLY the attitude problem towards this
> product that I'm worried about.
>
> I love you Greg but you can shove systemd where the sun don't shine.

Great, the sun doesn't shine inside my phone's case, which is where this
is going to go :)

And really, why would you care?  When was the last time you had to
handle process management on your phone?  When was the last time you
touched the init system of your phone?  And if you did, what was the
reaction you had when you did so (hint, if you have touched that code,
and you like it, well, then you really want something older than what
the BSDs even provide...)

I assume you also hate the init system in an Apple phone for the same
reason you hate systemd?  I guess we all need our windmills to tilt
against, have fun!

greg k-h