Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Sun May 15 11:29:29 PDT 2016

A: No.

http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/on_top

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 12:35:54AM -0700, Ed Carp wrote:
> I'm certainly not going to dignify this personal attack by responding,

Yet you did :)

And it wasn't "personal" at all, please go re-read it again.

> except to say that (1) I manage about 1200 RHEL servers, and (2)
> systemd certainly has *not* made my life easier, not by a long shot.
> My team uses Ansible to deploy and manage these systems, I will say
> that Ansible hides a lot of the systemd messiness in the service
> module - but it's a completely different way of doing things, and IMO
> not for the better.

So perhaps your issue is with Ansible and how it handles systemd?  How
is that systemd's fault?  Have you brought it up with the Ansible
developers?  Have they worked to help you resolve your objections?

> And if you get off attacking people for expressing their opinion, I
> guess you *do* have a problem.

You said a number of things that aren't true (unix way and all that) and
I protested that statement, not anything specifically about you at all.
You were objecting to the work that I, and people I personally trust,
have done and have given to you and the world for free.  You feel that
somehow we are doing it just because we wanted to make _your_ life more
miserable.  Did we force you to use systemd?  No, the vendor _you_ trust
made that decision, perhaps you shouldn't trust that vendor and move to
a different one.  You have choices, no one is _forcing_ you to use
Linux, least of all the developers who write it.

The BSDs are great, they need all the users they can get, and Linux
needs the competition, please move to them if you really like the
old-style init system.

And again people, this is linux-elitists, how "elite" are you if you
complain about having to learn a new tool?

bah humbug,

greg k-h