Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Sun May 15 02:28:35 PDT 2016

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 02:14:22AM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 04:38:49PM -0700, Ed Carp wrote:
> > I'm particularly annoyed by systemd, period. Nothing wrong with the
> > way things were
>
> You are kidding, right?  Have you ever worked at that level?  Tried to
> manage processes and services in a sane manner?  I've been dealing with
> that problem since my first paid Linux job in 2000, and it didn't get
> finally resolved until systemd.  There were lots of things wrong with
> how things "were" before, perhaps you never worked down there?

2000 hmmm

You would have loved HPUnix or AIX at SIAC

So it took you that much time to make Linux look and act like Windows.  Actually
it is not fair to blame just you for this.

> > - systemd goes completely against the Unix idea of one
> > small utility doing one thing well, and it just comes across as change
> > for the sake of change as a monument to someone's ego.
>
> Really, you want to drag this old disputed argument out again?  Tell me
> how your old init system was a "do one thing well" program?

Or we can just get rid of systemd

> And as far as ego goes, do you not take pride in the work you do?
> systemd was written by people working for _all_ distros, it was not the
> work of just one person at all, to act otherwise is a huge disservice to
> those other developers.

Actually, NOT.  Unless Pottering works for all distros now.

> Just one word of advice, almost _everyone_ who has worked on a distro at
> that level of the "plumbing" has helped out with systemd as it is
> somehow obvious to them that this is a much better solution than what
> they previously had.  I guess you don't trust those developers, which is
> fine, but you should seriously consider just why you feel that way.
>
> > No matter - hooray for Rick! Thank you! I hope I don't have to worry
> > about this when Linux Mint goes systemd in the next release
> > (reportedly)...

Try Manjaro with openrc

I'm just gonna just bypass the rest of this ranting

It is always good to have a single vector to control and entire system

What will happen when Watson takes over and exploits systemd and takes over
all those android phones....using big data from the clouds...

Now I'm going back to listening to the Velvet Unground...