Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat May 14 13:45:36 PDT 2016

Following up on a thread from last July:

> I've found it trivial to migrate a Debian Jessie system sideways to
> OpenRC, which I've found a pleasantly well engineered and somewhat
> BSDish relief from AT&T-derived SysV cruft.  Works fine - ergo, no
> compelling present need for a distro fork even for dedicated systemd
> haters, IMVAO.  (Views Differ[tm].)
>
> LWN.net's article at the time of the OpenRC package being new to Debian
> (but already solid) from three years ago might still merit reading:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/512719/
>
>   At least some in the Debian community are particularly annoyed by the
>   systemd team's unwillingness to take patches for portability to kernels
>   beyond Linux. That led Adam Borowski to jokingly dismiss OpenRC
>   because it lacks "a hostile upstream". More seriously, Leigh pointed
>   out that OpenRC uses some of the same features as systemd, but does so
>   with portability in mind:  [...]

Completing that task:

I've now completely documented how to run Debian 8 'Jessie' with OpenRC
and _keep_ it on OpenRC without allowing any dependency hairballs to
drag the system onto systemd.
http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Debian/openrc-conversion.html  (I have also
added said new page to
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#Other_useful_sites .)

I paid careful attention to Marc Merlin's point about Debian package
problems because of complex dependency chains, using a little
scripting to create what I believe is a complete list of where problems
will lie -- and some suggestions for how to fix those.

--
Cheers,                                      "My life has a superb cast,
Rick Moen                                    but I cannot figure out the plot."