[linux-elitists] Get off my lawn.

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Fri Mar 18 12:51:57 PDT 2016

begin Aaron Burt quotation of Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 03:42:51PM -0700:
> On 2016-03-12 10:53, Don Marti wrote:
> >An entire new web company where nobody has to run
> >anything as root.
> >
> >  The Serverless Start-up
> >http://highscalability.com/blog/2015/12/7/the-serverless-start-up-down-with-servers.html
>
> Yep, service LEGO.  I remember a fellow discussing his EBS/SQS/RDS app a few
> years ago at an AWS meetup.  I've long been under the impression that's what
> AWS has in mind.
>
> If your service offering is on a fairly generic stack with not that much
> specialized user-interface or algorithms behind it, you're in danger of
> being disrupted by J. Random Salesman and his AWS LEGOneer.  Engineering
> effort?  1-2 orders of magnitude less.  Scalability?  Yeah, whatevs.
>
> That's frightening.

No more frightening that the MSCEization of
run-of-the-mill client-server applications in the
pre-web days.  Or the vendor-certified companies that
design and deploy POS systems.  Or the fact that an
electrician can wire a house to code -- you don't
need an Electrical Engineer to design a unique system
any more.

> My own thinking has been:
> (a) Be ready to price and build stuff with AWS LEGO.
> (b) Pay attention to the AWS work-alike stacks.
> (c) Think about the missing pieces and how to make them, e.g. on EC2.
> (d) Look for things that don't fit the AWS model.
>
> (c) and (d) are where the fun (and remunerative) things are.

One fun part is offering a pluggable service with
"LEGOneers" as your users.

Also makes "scaling" more of a concern for low-level
projects (OS, database, language runtimes...).
Instead of those projects selling to, and designing
for, an IT professional who serves thousands of users,
they're serving a SaaS component company that serves
hundreds of "serverless" projects, each with thousands
of users.

--
Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org>
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/