[linux-elitists] Get off my lawn.

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Thu Mar 17 15:42:51 PDT 2016

On 2016-03-12 10:53, Don Marti wrote:
> An entire new web company where nobody has to run
> anything as root.
>
>   The Serverless Start-up
> http://highscalability.com/blog/2015/12/7/the-serverless-start-up-down-with-servers.html

Yep, service LEGO.  I remember a fellow discussing his EBS/SQS/RDS app a
few years ago at an AWS meetup.  I've long been under the impression
that's what AWS has in mind.

If your service offering is on a fairly generic stack with not that much
specialized user-interface or algorithms behind it, you're in danger of
being disrupted by J. Random Salesman and his AWS LEGOneer.  Engineering
effort?  1-2 orders of magnitude less.  Scalability?  Yeah, whatevs.

That's frightening.

My own thinking has been:
(a) Be ready to price and build stuff with AWS LEGO.
(b) Pay attention to the AWS work-alike stacks.
(c) Think about the missing pieces and how to make them, e.g. on EC2.
(d) Look for things that don't fit the AWS model.

(c) and (d) are where the fun (and remunerative) things are.