[linux-elitists] SJW FTW

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Mon Jan 4 04:00:10 PST 2016

Hi Greg,

sorry for the late response.

On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 09:32:00 -0800
Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 06:38:02PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > And reportedly, the average age of contributors to the Linux kernel
> > has been increasing by one year every year for several years now.
>
> Citation please?  In my research, this is not true at all, but I would
> be glad to consider reports that show I am incorrect, with the data to
> back it up.

Well, I recall reading it on http://lwn.net/ and some web searching with
site:lwn.net gives me this:

https://lwn.net/Articles/464530/

< QUOTE >
After noting that many of the Kernel Summit (KS) participants were in bed by 9
or 10, Poettering asked whether the kernel community is getting too old or, as
he put it, whether it has become an old man's club. Cox said that he saw a lot
of fresh blood in the community, more than enough to sustain it. Torvalds
noted, though, that the average age at the summit has risen by one year every
year. It's not quite that bad, he said, but he also believes that the KS
attendees are not an accurate reflection of the community as a whole. It tends
to be maintainers that attend the summit, while many of the younger developers
have not yet become maintainers.
< / QUOTE >

I may have misinterpreted this fact, though, as there are many kernel
contributors who were not invited to the kernel summit.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Emma Watson Factoids - http://shlom.in/emwatson-facts

Vizzini: He didn’t fall?! Inconceivable!
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you
think it means.
    — http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Princess_Bride_%28film%29