[linux-elitists] Wake up sheeple!!!1!

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sat May 23 09:36:02 PDT 2015

begin Don Marti quotation of Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 10:32:46PM -0800:
> begin Ruben I Safir quotation of Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 12:34:15AM -0500:
> > On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 05:45:46PM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> > > So, most web privacy intrusions try to hide
> > > themselves...what if we had an easy way to warn users
> > > when they're trackable from site to site?
> >
> > These children are so stupid that they just don't care and will tell you
> > so... flatly.
>
> Common reaction -- we, the elitists, have ad blockers,
> so who cares about the Muggles?

Why independent webmasters should care, and help to set
up their users with tracking protection:

  Request for independent sites
  http://blog.aloodo.org/misc/site-request/

  A long-lived Internet bug is spreading malware,
  enabling fraud, and taking financial support away
  from important cultural goods. This bug doesn't have
  a logo or a CVE number, but I'm writing to ask you,
  as the maintainer of an independent web site, for
  your help in fixing it.

  The bug I'm talking about is the problem of
  third-party user tracking. It's left over from some
  quick-and-dirty web security decisions of the 1990s.
  When users can be tracked from site to site, much of
  the value created on the web is shifted away from
  sites and users, and toward criminals and
  surveillance marketing intermediaries.

The aloodo.org stuff is there to make it easy for
sites. The goal is to make it no harder than adding a
social or other third-party widget.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/