Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 31 21:40:40 PDT 2015

Quoting Bob Bernstein (rs at bernstein.providence.ri.us):

> To anyone's knowledge are there projects afoot to create a new linux
> distro representing, basically, Debian Jessie but without all the
> systemd and Network Manager um stuff. Or, have I thus basically
> defined a fork of Wheezy? Perhaps one of those is underway?

Devuan is a thing.  It even furnishes vdev (not tried) as a way to give
udev the heave-ho.  It's probably pretty alpha, still.

But is that the right problem to solve?

I've found it trivial to migrate a Debian Jessie system sideways to
OpenRC, which I've found a pleasantly well engineered and somewhat
BSDish relief from AT&T-derived SysV cruft.  Works fine - ergo, no
compelling present need for a distro fork even for dedicated systemd
haters, IMVAO.  (Views Differ[tm].)

LWN.net's article at the time of the OpenRC package being new to Debian
(but already solid) from three years ago might still merit reading:
http://lwn.net/Articles/512719/

  At least some in the Debian community are particularly annoyed by the
  systemd team's unwillingness to take patches for portability to kernels
  beyond Linux. That led Adam Borowski to jokingly dismiss OpenRC
  because it lacks "a hostile upstream". More seriously, Leigh pointed
  out that OpenRC uses some of the same features as systemd, but does so
  with portability in mind:  [...]

--
Cheers,                      "The trouble ain't that there is too many fools,
Rick Moen                    but that the lightning ain't distributed right."