[linux-elitists] LOCAL Mountain View, California: Systemd at SVLUG 7 Jan 2015

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Mon Jan 5 14:46:53 PST 2015

Looks like this will be really good -- Alison's draft
slides are up (in the Presentations section here:
  http://she-devel.com/
).

Don

----- Forwarded message from Mark Weisler <mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us> -----

Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 10:05:50 -0800
From: Mark Weisler <mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us>
To: svlug-announce at lists.svlug.org
Subject: [svlug-announce] SVLUG General Meeting: Systemd -- The Modern Linux
	init System You Will Learn to Love

WHEN:

  Wednesday, January 7th, 2015
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

 TOPIC: Systemd -- The Modern Linux init System You Will Learn to Love

 PRESENTED BY:
 Alison Chaiken

 TOPIC SUMMARY:
   The controversial systemd has absorbed udev, and purported to replace syslog with the journal daemon.
   Recent decisions by Debian and Ubuntu to adopt systemd assure its prominence as a Linux init system.
   Users and sysadmins are predictably horrified. In fact, systemd is winning wide acceptance, our speaker says,
   because it is simpler, easier to use, and better documented than its competition.
   Chaiken will describe how to get started with systemd, discuss some problems with it, and perform some simple demos. Attendees should feel free to submit questions and diatribes in advance.
   This presentation will be co-sponsored by the Silicon Valley Linux Technology Meetup.

 ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
    Alison Chaiken is a senior software engineer working in embedded Linux and middleware, and a longtime SVLUG member,
   who has been our featured speaker twice before, and is always an eagerly anticipated speaker.
   She was in the recent past a MeeGo Technical Consultant at Nokia Mobility Solutions, and describes herself as 'a recovering physicist',
   who has computed primarily on Unix since the days of the VAX 11/750. Before her work at Nokia, she worked on pervasive computing projects at HP Labs,
   then moved to Stanford Linear Accelerator Center to write instrument control and user interface software.

 LOCATION:

   Symantec
   VCAFE Facility
   350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
   Mountain View, CA 94043

   http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

 webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

 restaurant/diner after the meeting:  Frankie, Johnnie & Luigi, Too,
 939 West El Camino Real between Shoreline and Castro, Mountain View.

We look forward to seeing you there!