[linux-elitists] Matrix seems pretty nice

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Thu Feb 12 11:53:23 PST 2015

begin Teh Entar-Nick quotation of Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 06:09:14PM +0000:
> Well Matrix is all about syncing logs around, so you can structure your
> clients to use part of the namespace for more long-form conversation.
> Imagine a linux-elitists forum where your moderation policy is "no
> proprietary clients, and at least 500 words".  It could be akin to the
> old #xkcd-signal channel, where the only rule (automatically enforced
> through bans with exponential back-off times) was that nobody could
> repeat a line that had already been said in-channel.

That's a great idea, especially if you
pre-populate the logs using Monty-Python-bot and
Robert-A-Heinlein-bot.

All right, I'll read up on Matrix, if I can use it
more as a newsgroup, less as a channel, I'll see what
it can do.

> > (But don't listen to me. I'm not the person the next-generation
> > communication system should be built for -- it has to be for the
> > person with the interest and some of the skills to be a
> > helper/troubleshooter/contributor on whatever the next platform is.)
>
> Yeah, the trouble is that I'm not either.  So I'll probably chase
> something endearingly retro and familiar again, and miss the really
> radical reinvention.

Good point.  Teh Twitter is having its own trouble,
so there's definitely a niche for a new communication
tool.

  http://www.technologyreview.com/news/535031/can-twitter-fix-its-harassment-problem-without-losing-its-soul/

(Anyone who does have accounts on the mass-market
social sites, I have some Keybase invites.  Mail me
off-list if you want one: https://keybase.io/dmarti )

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/