[linux-elitists] Matrix seems pretty nice

Teh Entar-Nick nick at teh.entar.net
Thu Feb 12 11:55:48 PST 2015

I set up a server in a throwaway account/virtualenv and I've been
playing in the Web client, IRC, and the matrix.org Web client
simultaneously for a bit.

I did ask about long-form writing, and they said they're definitely
working on the sorts of protocol features to support that (public
message URIs, context displays in the Web client, etc).

Right now the only clients are Web, iOS, and Android.  Someone's working
on libpurple (to get you bitlbee, which gateways to most popular IRC
clients), and the group was chasing down a pair who are working on a
custom console client.

The big problem they're dealing with right now is that some of the
participants in #matrix:matrix.org (that's the URI spec for channels,
basically) have torn down their servers and blackholed the port.  This
means that on *first* join to that channel from another server, you end
up with some pretty messy timeouts.

Oh, I had to run from the exception-fixes branch to get around another
bug as well, but I expect that to hit master soon.

The folks who are working on this are definitely Our People in a lot of
ways.  That can be good and bad, but I find that they definitely are
looking ahead to lots of possibilities for novel clients and their UX.