[linux-elitists] Matrix seems pretty nice

Teh Entar-Nick nick at teh.entar.net
Thu Feb 12 10:09:14 PST 2015

Don Marti:
> begin Teh Entar-Nick quotation of Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 12:22:45PM +0000:
> > I pointed them in the direction of redecentralize.org and they said
> > that seems like a good match.  So look forward to an interview with
> > them there some time this year.
>
> IRC was ahead of its time in a lot of ways but it does look like it's
> time for a next-generation system.

Don't forget that IRC is a product of the 1980s.  A lot of the people I
see giving up on IRC are actually younger than the system itself.

> My problem is that many of the people I want to coverse with have done
> the sensible thing and left the -0800 time zone.  And I keep fairly
> weird hours anyway.  So mailing lists or Usenet are probably nore
> practical for me.

Well Matrix is all about syncing logs around, so you can structure your
clients to use part of the namespace for more long-form conversation.
Imagine a linux-elitists forum where your moderation policy is "no
proprietary clients, and at least 500 words".  It could be akin to the
old #xkcd-signal channel, where the only rule (automatically enforced
through bans with exponential back-off times) was that nobody could
repeat a line that had already been said in-channel.

> (But don't listen to me. I'm not the person the next-generation
> communication system should be built for -- it has to be for the
> person with the interest and some of the skills to be a
> helper/troubleshooter/contributor on whatever the next platform is.)

Yeah, the trouble is that I'm not either.  So I'll probably chase
something endearingly retro and familiar again, and miss the really
radical reinvention.