[linux-elitists] No results found for "social justice growth hacking".

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Feb 11 23:25:04 PST 2015

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> Hangout
> on NYLXS

1.  Majordomo in 2015:  How quaint.  And also proprietary.  You _were_ aware
of that, right?  One of several reasons why I and practically everyone else
migrated from Majordomo to Mailman in 1999 was that the replacement was
open source.

Fortunately, it's dead-simple to migrate the membership rosters and
cumulstive mboxes to GNU Mailman.  You might want to catch up with the
'90s and do that.  Just a thought.

2.  Your welcome message for the mailing list is long and windy.  You can
and should cut it.  A great deal.

3.  I note this paragraph in the welcome message, which is cleverly timeless
thanks to the omission of a year.  (Well done!)

  11th, 3PM to 10PM, at 1600 East 17th street.

4.  Quoting the eye-wateringly overburdened informational Web page:

> We take pride in using only a minimal amount of moderation.

My naive faith in progress is at risk again:  Please save me from the
extremely strong suspicion that you are one of those who talk about
'moderation' of mailing lists that are in fact, unmoderated and merely
have a listadmin who chides (and if necessary sanctions) people after
the fact for having misbehaved.

Or, if you cannot save me from that sad conclusion, fix the goddamned
word-usage error, Ruben.  It's misleading to talk about 'moderation' of
a mailing list that isn't moderated.

I doubt you are maniacal enough to deliberately have every single
posting held for approval, which is what 'moderated mailing list' means.

You want people to have faith in your listadmin regime?  Start by not
calling yourself a moderator when you most likely aren't one.  It makes
you look either like a control-freak or someone who doesn't really know
what he's doing.

--
Cheers,              "I know you believe you understood what you think I said,
Rick Moen            but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not