[linux-elitists] No results found for "social justice growth hacking".

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Wed Feb 11 23:13:39 PST 2015

On Sat, Feb 07, 2015 at 09:40:29PM +0000, Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
> Don Marti:
> > So where is the next generation coming from? What's going to be the
> > "holy shit, all those new people are running THAT?" platform?
>
> I don't know, but I can tell you that the competition right now seems to
> be JavaScript in various forms.
>
> People may be writing fancy new back-end server stacks on dragonfly bsd
> docker images using haskell or clojure or whatever, but by and large all
> of that mess is a delivery mechanism for large blobs of minified
> proprietary JavaScript.
>
> And we've lost the communication edge as well.  Ten years ago people
> still actually used e-mail, and sometimes even a mom-and-pop server.
> These days email is just an old-fashioned term for gmail, and the
> interoperability has a future only slightly less dismal than the
> privacy.
>
> Tech-savvy people I trust are leaving IRC for whatever Google
> Chat-Hangout thing is hip these days, and it's reminding me of that
> period in the early 1990s when I clung to local BBSes because I found
> the Internet so vast and impersonal.  These days I find IRC networks
> run by friends and co-conspirators far less corporate and spooky than
> anything out there.  Boy was Jabber ever a failure!

I don't think your getting it.  They don't give a fuck.  If I hear one
more undergrad proudly tell me how they have installed umbuntu on their
windows box in an Oracle VM, I'm going to puke.  There is far more
interest in playing, lets decorate out KDE environment, than any
fucntionality.  From Netrunner on down, there is a flood of "distros"
where the chairs are moved around on the titanic.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, we might well be into a time period where
installation of GNU systems on new hardware is the hardest it has been
in a decade.  I have installed 1000's of linux boxes over the decades
and recently I picked up some new hardware and 8 distros failed to
install out of the box, from Mint on to opensuse and slackware.

The opensource comerical vendors might be some of your biggest problems,

i don't know.  I've been struggling with this quite a bit over the last
few months, and I feel tapped.  I might finally have gotten some
organizational enthusiams going... I'll see in the next few weeks.

On another note, two weeks ago, someone told me that they lost their
cellpone in Jerusalem and it must have been stolen by arabs because she
could track it all the way in Jericho and into Jordan...

on to Syria and off the grid....

oh well

What you need is a product, maybe that goes from A to Z.  Pint size
server with webserver and private secure email and a phone with full
integrations to the private system, and sweeten it with social network
pluggins.