[linux-elitists] No results found for "social justice growth hacking".

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Wed Feb 11 23:01:15 PST 2015

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 12:54:19PM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> begin Teh Entar-Nick quotation of Sat, Feb 07, 2015 at 09:40:29PM +0000:
> > Don Marti:
> > > So where is the next generation coming from? What's going to be the
> > > "holy shit, all those new people are running THAT?" platform?
> >
> > I don't know, but I can tell you that the competition right now seems to
> > be JavaScript in various forms.
> >
> > People may be writing fancy new back-end server stacks on dragonfly bsd
> > docker images using haskell or clojure or whatever, but by and large all
> > of that mess is a delivery mechanism for large blobs of minified
> > proprietary JavaScript.
>
> Meteor looks promising...
>   https://www.meteor.com/about
> ...yes, it's a big hairy JavaScript thing, and the
> sites it produces aren't exactly crawlable...
>   http://www.manuel-schoebel.com/blog/meteor-and-seo
> ...but it's Free (MIT licensed).
>
> > And we've lost the communication edge as well.  Ten years ago people
> > still actually used e-mail, and sometimes even a mom-and-pop server.
> > These days email is just an old-fashioned term for gmail, and the
> > interoperability has a future only slightly less dismal than the
> > privacy.
> >
> > Tech-savvy people I trust are leaving IRC for whatever Google
> > Chat-Hangout thing is hip these days, and it's reminding me of that
> > period in the early 1990s when I clung to local BBSes because I found
> > the Internet so vast and impersonal.  These days I find IRC networks
> > run by friends and co-conspirators far less corporate and spooky than
> > anything out there.  Boy was Jabber ever a failure!
>
> (Where do people go to shoot the shit on the Internet
> any more?  Things have gotten silent.  Did too many
> people split up and go to Google Plus, or Myspace,
> or Twitter, or whatever, while enough others are
> opposed on principle to any given proprietary network
> that no actual conversation about random stuff can
> get started?  We need some kind of off-topic list,
> like, you know, what was that one list?)

Hangout

on NYLXS

It is more than a generational thing being lost here, though.  I feel
that I spent 20 years fighting the communications and intellectual
"property' war knowing that the next generation would be shaped by that
effort, and that I lost in a collosal way..

These kids are so stupid that they actually THINK that it is ok for
google to track their every waking move and communication and my school
thinks gmail is more secure mail than panix or my own mail server.

The core freedom in digital communications is the ability to SERVER...
to server your own mail... to server your own web services ...to service
your own communication channels, and this has been ripped out of their
hands.

I imagined that everyone would have their own webserver and mail server
and instead we have facebook and gmail.  Somewhere there has been a
terrible wrong turn and it is our fault.  This has not been articulated
clarly enough,

it is 2015 and it is still a nerdy thing to run your own web server...

God help us when a real AI is ready to move in on us... we have no
chance.

Ruben