[linux-elitists] No results found for "social justice growth hacking".

Teh Entar-Nick nick at teh.entar.net
Sat Feb 7 13:40:29 PST 2015

Don Marti:
> So where is the next generation coming from? What's going to be the
> "holy shit, all those new people are running THAT?" platform?

I don't know, but I can tell you that the competition right now seems to
be JavaScript in various forms.

People may be writing fancy new back-end server stacks on dragonfly bsd
docker images using haskell or clojure or whatever, but by and large all
of that mess is a delivery mechanism for large blobs of minified
proprietary JavaScript.

And we've lost the communication edge as well.  Ten years ago people
still actually used e-mail, and sometimes even a mom-and-pop server.
These days email is just an old-fashioned term for gmail, and the
interoperability has a future only slightly less dismal than the
privacy.

Tech-savvy people I trust are leaving IRC for whatever Google
Chat-Hangout thing is hip these days, and it's reminding me of that
period in the early 1990s when I clung to local BBSes because I found
the Internet so vast and impersonal.  These days I find IRC networks
run by friends and co-conspirators far less corporate and spooky than
anything out there.  Boy was Jabber ever a failure!

    So I think we need another moon-shot GNU project, but reaching further.

We need APIs that from the start fit the model of what people are
developing today.  I can't tell you how frustrating it is that PyGame
took decades before "Just multiply your movement by dt" became the norm.
Everyone did all kinds of horrible pointless framerate hacks!  We need
to copy the best interfaces, and support The Clean Architecture in
nearly everything (just as Unix pipes did!).

We also need better communication channels and tools.  We need something
that can take over from the snapchats and facebooks and such, but treat
the user with respect.  There needs to be privacy as a default, and the
ability to host the streams yourself.

But we also need better protection from harassment.  Right now the only
way we've worked out how to solve this is centralised moderation,
Metafilter-style.  We need to work out how to make a system where if a
socially vulnerable under-represented youth starts thinking maybe it
would be worthwhile to develop Free Software, that participation is easy
without stepping in flame wars or suffering under hails of sadistic
abuse from privileged jerks.

The closest system I can come up with is the Sugar project from
SugarLabs (who took over the software side from the OLPC project when
the latter went off into "Green Android tablet with Proprietary Branded
Content" tail-spins).  The code was ahead of its time a decade ago, and
now is a little passé but still very nice.  Some inspiration to draw
from, there, but we need to be more radical.