[linux-elitists] SJW FTW

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Wed Dec 30 08:38:02 PST 2015

Hi all,

I'm note sure if Ruben will see this, but this is also for the rest of you.

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 22:32:15 -0500
Ruben Safir <ruben at mrbrklyn.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 05, 2015 at 07:26:26AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> > Quoting Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org):
> >
> > > Ever notice how some of the most meritorious hackers are also some of
> > > the biggest SJWs?  (check it out, this is email, I can wait.)
> > >
> > > Does this make sense?
> > >
> > > Of course it does. And you don't need boring academic postmodern this
> > > or identity that to explain it.  Mainstream open source SJWism is
> > > clearly the winning strategy from a behavioral economics and
> > > evolutionary psychology point of view.
> > >
> > > Supporting the expansion of the demographic pool that the Free
> > > Software scene can draw from is a hell of a signal.
> >
> > Listening to what the world's population wants is just common sense.
> > Speaking and acting in a way that reflects awareness of cultural
> > difference is also just common sense.
> >

> > There appears to be some difference of view about some episodes of
> > online vigilantism carried out in the name of inclusiveness, most often
> > alleging that open source projects and their leaders have been guilty of
> > racism, sexism, anti-LGBTQIAism, and other things (viz., Sarah Sharp's
> > recent odd allegations on LKML followed by high-profile flouncing off).
> > Sundry remedies are then requested by the critics:  removal of coders
> > from their own projects, codes of conduct with (often) very odd
> > provisions -- see GitHub CoC debacle -- and so on.
> >
> > Your posting might be an oblique way of asking 'Is Eric Raymond just
> > being a jackass?'  Or perhaps not.  FWIW, I advised Eric that his
> > then-draft broadside against 'SJWs' would be counterproductive, that he
> > should tone his editorial way down, and that while discussing specifics
> > of incidents such as the 'djangoconcardiff' vigilante might be useful,
> > railing against ideology was not.  Eric accepted all of my other
> > corrections and suggestions, but rejected that one utterly.
> >

> This Sarah?
>
> "But this week, after Linux creator Linus Torvalds told Kroah-Hartman to get
> tough with developers who submitted sub-standard patches, Sharp, 28, felt
> he’d crossed a line, and she told him so. Torvalds says he needs to be
> plainspoken so that the thousands of contributors to the Linux project will
> get a clear message of what works and what doesn’t. But Sharp says that that
> aggressive tone is bad for Linux. According to her, it’s keeping some good
> developers away. Following is an edited transcript of a telephone interview
> with Sharp"
>

> Scratch my fucking ass.  I'm so sick of it.  This young geneation is a
> bunch of conformist morons who are offended by Linus and people who's politics
> they disagree with, but could care less that they are being actively
> numbered, categorized, followed, spied upon and living the life of Cattle.

Seems like you're referring to:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/07/linus-torvalds-defends-his-right-to-shame-linux-kernel-developers/

That put aside, I agree with Ms. Sharp’s sentiments here. From what I have seen
of what Linus said in E-mail messages, he can be pretty aggressive, tactless,
and insulting, and this has likely been driving away many potential
contributors to the Linux kernel. While it's human to be insulting some time ,
it's not OK to not try to improve in this regard or even advocate an aggressive
tone like Linus does.

One project I know ( http://www.gimp.org/ , which is no doubt of significant
importance ) had been suffering from lack of contributors and active development
effort because of hostility on the part of the existing developers which has
driven away most potential developers. And reportedly, the average age of
contributors to the Linux kernel has been increasing by one year every year for
several years now.

I don't see what the supposed acceptance of massive data gathering has to
do with it. This seems like a completely orthogonal to me.

> What will it take before they wake up?  Will someone need to tatoo their
> arms... On no need!  You Iphone does it for me!
>
> This is the most intolerant and sheep like generation in western history.
>
> Unlike Roger Daltry, the Kids are NOT alright.

«Say not, “Why were the former days better than these?” For it is not from
wisdom that you ask this.» -- http://biblehub.com/ecclesiastes/7-10.htm -
Ecclesiastes ~300 B.C. The same scroll says "The words of the wise are said in
comfort.".

I'm also not sure it's peculiar to the current generation, because a certain
female open source contributor I know (who is relatively old and has children
past 20 y.o) told me that if she ever got banned from a project's online forum ,
she'd feel so bad that she won't want to contribute to this project again
(while I who am 1977-born often didn't completely give up after such cases).

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish