[linux-elitists] SJW FTW

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Sat Dec 5 19:32:15 PST 2015

On Sat, Dec 05, 2015 at 07:26:26AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org):
>
> > Ever notice how some of the most meritorious hackers are also some of
> > the biggest SJWs?  (check it out, this is email, I can wait.)
> >
> > Does this make sense?
> >
> > Of course it does. And you don't need boring academic postmodern this
> > or identity that to explain it.  Mainstream open source SJWism is
> > clearly the winning strategy from a behavioral economics and
> > evolutionary psychology point of view.
> >
> > Supporting the expansion of the demographic pool that the Free
> > Software scene can draw from is a hell of a signal.
>
> Listening to what the world's population wants is just common sense.
> Speaking and acting in a way that reflects awareness of cultural
> difference is also just common sense.
>

> There appears to be some difference of view about some episodes of
> online vigilantism carried out in the name of inclusiveness, most often
> alleging that open source projects and their leaders have been guilty of
> racism, sexism, anti-LGBTQIAism, and other things (viz., Sarah Sharp's
> recent odd allegations on LKML followed by high-profile flouncing off).
> Sundry remedies are then requested by the critics:  removal of coders
> from their own projects, codes of conduct with (often) very odd
> provisions -- see GitHub CoC debacle -- and so on.
>
> Your posting might be an oblique way of asking 'Is Eric Raymond just
> being a jackass?'  Or perhaps not.  FWIW, I advised Eric that his
> then-draft broadside against 'SJWs' would be counterproductive, that he
> should tone his editorial way down, and that while discussing specifics
> of incidents such as the 'djangoconcardiff' vigilante might be useful,
> railing against ideology was not.  Eric accepted all of my other
> corrections and suggestions, but rejected that one utterly.

This Sarah?

"But this week, after Linux creator Linus Torvalds told Kroah-Hartman to get tough with developers who submitted sub-standard patches, Sharp, 28, felt he’d crossed a line, and she told him so. Torvalds says he needs to be plainspoken so that the thousands of contributors to the Linux project will get a clear message of what works and what doesn’t. But Sharp says that that aggressive tone is bad for Linux. According to her, it’s keeping some good developers away. Following is an edited transcript of a telephone interview with Sharp"

Scratch my fucking ass.  I'm so sick of it.  This young geneation is a
bunch of conformist morons who are offended by Linus and people who's politics
they disagree with, but could care less that they are being actively
numbered, categorized, followed, spied upon and living the life of Cattle.

What will it take before they wake up?  Will someone need to tatoo their arms...
On no need!  You Iphone does it for me!

This is the most intolerant and sheep like generation in western history.

Unlike Roger Daltry, the Kids are NOT alright.

> Meanwhile, your point is of course well taken, that outreach and an
> inclusive emphasis yield great benefits.  Equally, naturally there are
> conduct problems within various open source projects, because... humans.
> IMO, project leaders already had what they needed to deal with that:
> being project leaders, e.g. 'You're in charge; act that way'.  And if
> outside critics (or anyone else) are still dissatisifed with how open
> source leaders have processed their complaints, their ultimate remedy is
> always available:  the right to fork.

here is a quarter, kid.  Go buy yourself an Operating System.

> E.g., critic 'djangoconcardiff' avers that a Puerto Rican coder who runs
> a Django project had declined to merge several patches the critic
> asserts were from trans or gay code contributors, and feels social
> justice concerns obliged the coder to both accept those patches and sign
> a Code of Conduct requiring Right Thinking[tm] henceforth.[1]  i

Homosexuality is Sin... at least in the Western and Semetic traditions.
Not that I've ever really cared about gay people I've met, or even befriended,
but lately the double speak has been bothering me.

Equating homosexuality with racist has now become a rubber hits road issue.
In one fell swoop now, every practicing Jew, Christian and even Muslims are
now painted as facists and racists.

the hell with that, Ms Sarah et al.

> The coder
> says no.  Quelle horreur!  Has injustice been committed?  No,
> pseudonymous complainer 'djangoconcardiff' is utterly free to relieve
> dissatisfaction by forking his/her git repo and then running his/her
> fork any way at all.
>
> All such dissatisifed critics need is willingness to do the work.  If
> unwilling, they evidently weren't serious.  Fin.  Roll credits.
>

> Eric railing against 'SJWs' was a sideshow and waste of time.  However,
> Don, your equating said epithet with 'supporting the expansion of the
> demographic pool that the Free Software scene can draw from' also seems
> problematic.

really... It is actually BACKWARDS.    The target audience we have most
missed out on is SOCCER MOMS.