Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Tue Aug 4 19:51:55 PDT 2015

On 08/04/2015 05:32 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> (Just to stress:  I don't speak for the Debian Project in any way.  I
> just use the stuff, and am otherwise a project outsider.)
>
> To the extent there are things in Debian that now in 2015 require systemd
> -- by my count, 13 assorted regular packages (mostly GNOME things), 10
> Debian installer packages, and 5 that require systemd only because
> they're systemd-related, out of ~44,000 Debian x86_64 packages total --
> they were largely imposed onto the Debian Project by upstream GNOME
> decisions related to the GNOME 'login' API (seat support) and
> Freedesktop.org developers' orphaning of ConsoleKit.

It is hard to understand how it can be double digits.  Gnome depedent
packages alone is gigabytes of packages. Then there is is the affects to
X and logging.  This is a fork.  Your looking over your shoulder and
saying, I can run around this corner pretty quick right now.  yeah.  But
not in the future.  Not as things seem to be progressing.

You can call it hand waiving if you want, and I'll admit to being quite
passionate on this subject, but if systemd is the linux future, I want
no part of it.

Ruben