Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Aug 2 21:41:22 PDT 2015

Quoting Marc MERLIN (marc at merlins.org):

> Of course, it's my fault for running network-manager....

Yep.  ;->  But I sympathise.

> if you find one you can recommend, I would be happy to listen, because
> I'm sure not happy with at least nm-applet (which I run inside some systray
> inside enlightenment 19).

A huge number of people seem to like wicd.

On Debian, 'wicd' is a metapackage.  You need core package wicd-daemon
and one or more of:  wicd-gtk, wicd-curses, wicd-cli, wicd-client.

The clients are Python (+ respective rendering libs).  The daemon
requires dbus, wpasupplicant, wireless-tools, and a few obvious network
things.  Nothing surprising.