Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Sun Aug 2 21:26:03 PDT 2015

On Sun, Aug 02, 2015 at 11:19:11PM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 02, 2015 at 09:12:21AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> > begin carmen r quotation of Sun, Aug 02, 2015 at 02:24:20PM +0000:
> > > so Devuan wanted to immortalize "We're pissed off about systemd" in a bit of branding?
> > >  why didnt they just become runit/s6/openrc maintainers for sid instead?
> >
> > This is something I don't understand either.
> > On any packaging system it's easy to make an
> > "antipackage" that just has conflicts.  So why not
> > just make a "no-systemd" package and install it?
> >

> I'm not a debian user so i can't speak for the system specifically but
> in general, it is likely easier to make packages for different kernels
> than to make non-systemd packages from a systemd centric platform, and
> it will be this way in the future.  It is a stated goal of systemd
> developers that all linux distros will look and act exactly the same
> way.
>
> Systemd is NOT an init system.  It can best be described, IMO, as an OS
> that sits on the Linux Kernel.

No, it's not that at all, it provides the same services and interfaces
that all the distros had to create on their own because no one else had
done so.  And by now unifying it across all distros, it provides an
interfaces that application developers can rely on being there to solve
real problems.

The "fun" thing about the whole Debian mess I always found was that most
of the interfaces, and standards that systemd implemented came directly
from Debian, so in fact, all old-time Debian admins should feel more at
home on Fedora, openSUSE, and everyone else.

> and if you think ifconfig is depecated, just see how bad rsyslog and
> family will look in a few years.

If an operating system does not change, it is dead.

good luck!

greg k-h