Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Sun Aug 2 21:14:55 PDT 2015

On Sun, Aug 02, 2015 at 07:45:08PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Marc MERLIN (marc at merlins.org):
>
> > It's not that simple.
> > Many new packages will just not install because even though they don't
> > depend on systemd, they pick up systemd as a dep through automatic
> > dependency generation.
> >
> > So basically, that would half freeze your debian system by preventing
> > many new packages from ever installing.
>
> It's a valid point, but, _so far_, I've not felt a pressing need for any
> package with such a dependency (servers, workstations and laptops sans
> DEs).  Things may, of course, change -- and experiences will obviously
> differ.
>
> I may in the medium term (once again) build some packages locally to
> trim dependencies, depending on particulars and how badly I want that
> software.  Network managers for wireless is one of my test cases for
> that:  I'm doing a survey of which ones are maintained and usable, then
> checking and documenting what dependencies they tend to be built with --
> along with what dependencies are truly needed.

Funny you should mention that, gnome's network-manager is what caused a
dependency hell which installed systemd which then nicely also decided to
take over my acpi functions, conflicting with the ones I had in acpid.
I'm still booting with regular init though.

Of course, it's my fault for running network-manager, I just have so many
network configs in it, that it's been a pain to switch to something else,
but if you find one you can recommend, I would be happy to listen, because
I'm sure not happy with at least nm-applet (which I run inside some systray
inside enlightenment 19).
(I don't otherwise run gnome)

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....