Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sun Aug 2 20:49:48 PDT 2015

begin Marc MERLIN quotation of Sun, Aug 02, 2015 at 07:03:34PM -0700:
> On Sun, Aug 02, 2015 at 05:27:46PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> > Quoting Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org):
> >
> > > This is something I don't understand either.
> > > On any packaging system it's easy to make an
> > > "antipackage" that just has conflicts.  So why not
> > > just make a "no-systemd" package and install it?
> >
> > And indeed those have long existed, in the form of some of the various
> > prevent-* packages by Debian developer Thorsten Glaser ('mirabilos').
> > They work fine, FWIW.  https://eurynome.mirbsd.org/debs/debidx.htm
> > https://wiki.debian.org/ThorstenGlaser
>
> It's not that simple.
> Many new packages will just not install because even though they don't
> depend on systemd, they pick up systemd as a dep through automatic
> dependency generation.
>
> So basically, that would half freeze your debian system by preventing
> many new packages from ever installing.

So if exampleware 1.0 does not depend on systemd,
but exampleware 1.1 does, would the user who installs
both exampleware and prevent-systemd end up stuck
on exampleware 1.0 when exampleware 1.1 comes out,
or would that user be forced to remove either
prevent-systemd or exampleware?

--
Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org>
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/