Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Sun Aug 2 20:19:11 PDT 2015

On Sun, Aug 02, 2015 at 09:12:21AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> begin carmen r quotation of Sun, Aug 02, 2015 at 02:24:20PM +0000:
> > so Devuan wanted to immortalize "We're pissed off about systemd" in a bit of branding?
> >  why didnt they just become runit/s6/openrc maintainers for sid instead?
>
> This is something I don't understand either.
> On any packaging system it's easy to make an
> "antipackage" that just has conflicts.  So why not
> just make a "no-systemd" package and install it?

I'm not a debian user so i can't speak for the system specifically but
in general, it is likely easier to make packages for different kernels
than to make non-systemd packages from a systemd centric platform, and
it will be this way in the future.  It is a stated goal of systemd
developers that all linux distros will look and act exactly the same
way.

Systemd is NOT an init system.  It can best be described, IMO, as an OS
that sits on the Linux Kernel.

and if you think ifconfig is depecated, just see how bad rsyslog and
family will look in a few years.

Can someone tell me how many debian packages are no
depend on systemd as a requesist?

Quote:
Other parts include a logging daemon, utilities to control basic system
configuration like the hostname, date, locale, maintain a list of
logged-in users and running containers and virtual machines, system
accounts, runtime directories and settings, and daemons to manage simple
network configuration, network time synchronization, log forwarding, and
name resolution.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/writing-display-managers/
just for one complication