Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Aug 2 19:45:08 PDT 2015

Quoting Marc MERLIN (marc at merlins.org):

> It's not that simple.
> Many new packages will just not install because even though they don't
> depend on systemd, they pick up systemd as a dep through automatic
> dependency generation.
>
> So basically, that would half freeze your debian system by preventing
> many new packages from ever installing.

It's a valid point, but, _so far_, I've not felt a pressing need for any
package with such a dependency (servers, workstations and laptops sans
DEs).  Things may, of course, change -- and experiences will obviously
differ.

I may in the medium term (once again) build some packages locally to
trim dependencies, depending on particulars and how badly I want that
software.  Network managers for wireless is one of my test cases for
that:  I'm doing a survey of which ones are maintained and usable, then
checking and documenting what dependencies they tend to be built with --
along with what dependencies are truly needed.