Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Aug 2 00:15:10 PDT 2015

Quoting Bob Bernstein (rs at bernstein.providence.ri.us):

> On debian-user I learn things such as
> "ifconfig is obsolete."

$ alias ifconfig='echo /sbin/ifconfig is deprecated, use /bin/ip instead'

There.  I fixed it for you.

net-tools for Linux (furnishing ifconfig) was last updated 2001.
More such problems here:  http://inai.de/2008/02/19

Example usage, /bin/ip's equivalent of '/sbin/ifconfig -a', where the
'addr' subcommand has been abbreviated to 'a':

$ ip a show
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:d0:b7:a7:a4:ec brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 198.144.195.186/29 brd 198.144.195.191 scope global eth0
    inet6 fe80::2d0:b7ff:fea7:a4ec/64 scope link
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
$

But sure, you won't be alone in using ifconfig, route, arp, and netstat
out of habit, especially if you admin other Unices, too.  (It took me
a while to stop using nslookup and consistently use dig, instead, too.)

> So is ntpdate-debian, according to that venue.

It'll probably vanish upstream eventually, so start getting used to
invoking ntpd (see options -p -n -q), and definitely stop using ntpdate
in new scripts and start updating old ones.

> They both appear to my untutored eye to work just fine.

$ dict deprecated
[...]
>From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (20 July 2014) [foldoc]:

  deprecated

     Said of a program or feature that is considered obsolescent
     and in the process of being phased out, usually in favour of a
     specified replacement.  Deprecated features can,
     unfortunately, linger on for many years.
[...]

--
Cheers,              "I know you believe you understood what you think I said,
Rick Moen            but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not