Bob Bernstein rs at bernstein.providence.ri.us
Sat Aug 1 22:15:56 PDT 2015

On Sat, Aug 01, 2015 at 12:53:38PM +0000, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> These days, the elitist's Linux is *BSD.

Here is the lamest (most lame?) story any one of you will hear um
this weekend:

I have been a devout fan of bsd's for years, and settled down some
time ago to tithe, as it were, at NetBSD. A few months back I ran
out of the old i686ish boxes I used as bsd playgrounds, so I gave
Staples $100 for a refurb HP. It worked fine but would not boot a
bsd kernel, period. I tried Net-, Open-, and FreeBSD. I lerned this
perversion is a wrinkle in the HP bios, and yes, it can be
circumvented, some say, with a fair amount of tricky business but I
am not up to that sort of thing anymore. Since the gods still love
a good joke the HP refurb booted and installed Debian like old
friends meeting in front of their once-favorite bar.

Now I sit here next to a Jessie machine that runs like a clock but I
have to say the thrill is gone. I don't know how to do anything on
this machine the "right way." On debian-user I learn things such as
"ifconfig is obsolete." So is ntpdate-debian, according to that
venue. They both appear to my untutored eye to work just fine. (Do
you think I should tell them that over there on debian-user?)

So at my earliest convenience I will have the new NetBSD-7.0 running
here on something besides the VMplayer on my old $300 Walmart
eMachine screamer running Windows 7 (which also has run like a
clock).

Thanks all!

--
Bob Bernstein

"No matter how big the problem is, you can always run away from it."

                                                Dom Irrera