Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Sat Aug 1 16:27:44 PDT 2015

On Sat, Aug 01, 2015 at 11:08:57AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Greg KH (greg at kroah.com):
>
> > On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 11:06:05PM -0400, Bob Bernstein wrote:
> > > To anyone's knowledge are there projects afoot to create a new linux
> > > distro representing, basically, Debian Jessie but without all the
> > > systemd and Network Manager um stuff. Or, have I thus basically
> > > defined a fork of Wheezy? Perhaps one of those is underway?
> >
> > Why would you want such a thing?
>
> To insult you personally, presumably.  That's the only answer that could
> possibly make sense.

Was this originally a private email or did I miss this?  I think I
blacklisted any reference to systemd with the sentence "Why would you
want"

> http://www.linux.com/news/featured-blogs/200-libby-clark/771055-fun-photo-greg-kroah-hartman-crowned-at-the-systemd-hack-fest/
>

> About GNOME Network Manager, I used to have a list of the various
> less-baroque and less dependency-ridden alternative wireless network
> managers (starting with wicd, connman, netifd, wpa_supplicant/wpa_cli,
> wifi-wiz, getwifi, wlassistant, wifi-radar, GTKWifi, ceni, netctl), but
> most often (personally) I'd rather just use iwconfig / ifrename /
> iwgetid / iwlist / iwpriv / iwspy ('Wireless Tools for Linux').

I wish iwlist and iwconfig worked with the new password configurations

anyway

wicd seems to be working for most configurations on manjaro with openrc
which after trying a few variations is what I settled on.

with the integration of conselkit and conselket2 and X derooted and
essentially broken, and rsyslog broken in systemd, this task is destined
to be increasingly difficult.

If one wants a computer that takes its commands, rather than the
reverse, one will need to increasingly set the systemd east germans
float their own ocean and work on a linux system with openrc.

I don't think the split can be avoided.

Ruben