[linux-elitists] Hacker ethic, brogrammer ethic

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed Oct 22 06:44:18 PDT 2014

Just following up on my own post, after seeing Rachel
Chalmers in San Francisco a little while ago.

  http://blog.heavybit.com/blog/2014/9/15/rachel-chalmers

(Yes, _the_ Rachel Chalmers...
  http://www.cbronline.com/news/unisys_patent_crackdown_sparks_burn_all_gifs_protest
)

begin Don Marti quotation of Tue, Jul 08, 2014 at 07:13:16AM -0700:

> Brogrammers seem to skew more towards
> seeking network effects, devaluation of non-bro labor,
> and use of information monopolies in the service of
> network effects, though.

All of the techiques that Rachel covers
are equally applicable to hacking and
to brogramming.  But it ties back to Joel
Spolsky's point on "commoditizing the complement" (
  http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/StrategyLetterV.html
) -- in hacking, the complementary good to free
information can be a lot of things.  In brogramming,
the complement is some kind of network effect,
where the "bros" have some position of advantage on
the network.

Maybe brogramming is a subset of hacking.  Hacking for
brodom?

Bonus link:

  "My free software will respect users or it will be bullshit"
  Matthew Garrett
  http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/32686.html

--
Don Marti