[linux-elitists] Wake up sheeple!!!1!

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sat Nov 22 22:32:46 PST 2014

begin Ruben I Safir quotation of Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 12:34:15AM -0500:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 05:45:46PM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> > So, most web privacy intrusions try to hide
> > themselves...what if we had an easy way to warn users
> > when they're trackable from site to site?
>
> These children are so stupid that they just don't care and will tell you
> so... flatly.

Common reaction -- we, the elitists, have ad blockers,
so who cares about the Muggles?

But the problem is externalities.  Advertising paid
for a lot of fiction and non-fiction through the
19th and 20th centuries, including some good stuff
that we still read.  Today, most _online_ ad money
is going into Big Data intermediaries and outright
fraud -- creating negative externalities instead of
positive ones.

  http://zgp.org/~dmarti/business/monkey-badger/

So can we preserve the cultural-goods-funding benefits
of advertising on the web?  I think so, if we help to
make web ads work more like magazine ads and less like
email spam.  (Look how many of the classic stories
we read today came from ad-bearing magazines, and
how many book authors got started writing for them.)
Part of that includes selling (yes, selling) end users
on web privacy protection.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/