[linux-elitists] Hacker ethic, brogrammer ethic

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Tue Jul 22 10:39:07 PDT 2014

Hi Don,

On Sun, 6 Jul 2014 07:31:39 -0700
Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> wrote:

> First of all, I have to point out that the people
> who originally came up with the "brogramming"
> concept considered it just a goof and deleted it.
>
> But perhaps brogramming really is a thing, and it's
> becoming distinct from "hacking" in a way that other
> subcultures did not.  It's probably hard to recognize
> from the outside (hackers and brogrammers are all
> incomprehensible elitists) or from far enough inside
> (where most or all of the tech people you interact
> with are bros.)  How is the "brogrammer ethic"
> splitting off from the "hacker ethic"?

What exactly do you mean by "hacking"?

Do you mean "Breaking computer or computer network security"? Probably not.

Do you mean computer software or computer hardware enthusiasts?

Or do you mean hacking in the most general term of finding clever solutions to
big problems by bending the rules and getting your environment and tools to
comply with your whims whether it wants it or not. See:

* http://www.paulgraham.com/gba.html - Paul Graham’s “The Word ‘Hacker’”.

* http://paulgraham.com/opensource.html - What he said about “amateurs”

*
http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/philosophy/putting-all-cards-on-the-table-2013/#david_and_goliath
- what I wrote about why the famous tale about David vs. Goliath is a tale
about hacking or being an action hero.

If that's the definition, then, in this day and age, almost everyone of
significance is a hacker, including Penny from The show The Big Bang Theory
( http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/Penny ) and as evidence, see:

* http://www.reddit.com/r/buffy/comments/1d6x12/so_did_you_love_it_a_clip_from_the_big_bang/ ;

**
http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/show.cgi?id=big-bang-theory-penny-after-watching-buffy