[linux-elitists] Hacker ethic, brogrammer ethic

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Thu Jul 10 07:04:26 PDT 2014

begin Andy Bennett quotation of Tue, Jul 08, 2014 at 04:02:59PM +0100:

> http://michaelochurch.wordpress.com/2014/07/05/never-relocate-unpaid/

> He argues that it's better to pay $2X for 15 good developers than $X for
> 100 mediocre ones to get a particular job done.

Market for lemons.  Very hard for employers to
identify who will be good developers in their
particular situation.

> If we're "doing it wrong" why isn't the market working itself out
> according to market principles that would allow it to be "done right"?

There's enough extra value being created in
software that the industry can afford to do a lot
of things wrong.  In a primeval forest you can own
a badly-managed lumber camp and still make a profit.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org