[linux-elitists] Hacker ethic, brogrammer ethic

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Tue Jul 8 07:13:16 PDT 2014

begin Ruben I Safir quotation of Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 08:59:15AM -0400:

> The problem is deeper than this and largely a failure of our own making.
> The common public just doesn't get a shit any longer.  As long as they
> have a steady supply of the dope of choice, then they could care less
> about eulas, crowdsourcing, licenses, source code, tracking, stalking,
> survalance, social control, etc etc etc.

It's never been about the common public, though.
Hacker culture is elitist and obnoxious for regular
people, too.

The differences might just have to do with how you
approach...

  * Network effects

  * Skilled human labor

  * Government-granted information monopolies

...and hackers have never been unanimous about how
to value them.  Brogrammers seem to skew more towards
seeking network effects, devaluation of non-bro labor,
and use of information monopolies in the service of
network effects, though.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/