[linux-elitists] Hacker ethic, brogrammer ethic

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Mon Jul 7 05:21:55 PDT 2014

begin Teh Entar-Nick quotation of Sun, Jul 06, 2014 at 10:49:17PM +0000:

> I specifically am not talking about people who choose permissive
> licensing for other reasons.  There are plenty of concerns that could
> lead one to choose a permissive licence, many involving compatibility
> with a given body of work or community of practice.  And yes,
> organisational structure can really help mitigate some of the failure
> conditions these licences leave you open to.
>
> My point is that people who try to argue that copyleft works *against*
> freedom are the ones who are probably brogramming instead of hacking.

Old-school anti-copyleft flaming isn't as much of a
problem around here as the "forget all that legal
jibber-jabber, I just want to bro down and crush
code" message.

Luis Villa: "...the values encapsulated in
our licenses are taken for granted by younger
developers who have always had a plentiful, healthy
free-as-in-beer code commons."

  http://lu.is/blog/2013/01/27/taking-post-open-source-seriously-as-a-statement-about-copyright-law/

A decent Unix-like system with tools is just
background radiation--you can always download a
slick Linux distribution, or software comes free of
charge with your choice of aluminum ingot from the
Apple Store (just click here to agree to the EULA,
nobody reads that stuff).

While there's some "these kids today don't appreciate
what earlier generations built" the problem might
be that we don't have _enough_ license flamewars.
At least they got people to think about the norms
that affect software sharing.

Maybe it's just a question of how much does an
individual see startup equity as an essential ticket
out of _précarité_.  Everyone has a different
balance of change the system / get my piece of
the existing system.  Try to change the system
in the 1980s and fail, oh, well, you have to get
a middle-class job babysitting Novell NetWare or
something.  Fail in the 2010s and if you're not on
the "tech bus" you're, um, a self-employed achiever
in the cloud-based crowdsourcing economy.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org