[linux-elitists] Hacker ethic, brogrammer ethic

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Mon Jul 7 05:14:17 PDT 2014

On Sun, Jul 06, 2014 at 07:53:11PM +0000, Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
> Don Marti:
> > So how does "extend and subvert technology" turn into "go fast and
> > break people"?
> >
> > Hacking: copyleft or neutral licensing (promote generic
> >          ubiquitous code as a complement to valuable people)
> >
> > Brogramming: aggressive ToS/CLAs (contributors are a
> >              generic out-group; value is in control of the hub of the
> >              network)
>
> And yet, you're seeing plenty of tech bros using Open Source to wring as
> much unpaid labour out of people as they can.  It's probably one of the
> more irritating and impossible-to-deflect criticisms of the free
> software movement: what does this do to the power dynamic between
> capital and labour?  How does this not flood the markets with
> more easily exploitable programmers, and harm everyone?

Who needs to deflect criticism and why do we care.  How blindly stupid
would such a statement be?  Let me get this straight, every time someone
uses a previously discovered technology it is a distortion of the
market?  Who cares.  Markets are not the venue or means for human growth
and transmition of culture.  They are a by product of our economic
activity.  Anyone who views every engineering and artisitic feat as a
"market" needs to take a day off and go to the park.  Smell some grass.
Play some softball.  Enjoy a day OFF.