[linux-elitists] Hacker ethic, brogrammer ethic

Teh Entar-Nick nick at teh.entar.net
Sun Jul 6 15:49:17 PDT 2014

Don Marti:
> > > Brogramming: subvert the dominant paradigm by monetizing existing
> > > common space.
> >
> > I would propose this razor:
> >
> >     Anyone who is vocal against copyleft licences (such as Brett
> >     Glass) is more likely a brogrammer than a hacker.
>
> Unless the project maintainers take some other steps to ensure the
> valuable people/generic codebase model.  The PostgreSQL project seems
> to do code commons well without copyleft (possibly informed by some
> failures of proprietary derived works in the past.)

I specifically am not talking about people who choose permissive
licensing for other reasons.  There are plenty of concerns that could
lead one to choose a permissive licence, many involving compatibility
with a given body of work or community of practice.  And yes,
organisational structure can really help mitigate some of the failure
conditions these licences leave you open to.

My point is that people who try to argue that copyleft works *against*
freedom are the ones who are probably brogramming instead of hacking.