[linux-elitists] SCALE

Marcia K Wilbur aicra at faqlinux.com
Sat Dec 6 01:25:38 PST 2014

Cool!

Well, I would like to see a - as in "Free Beer" panel. :)

One thing I suggested for the Arizona crowd as I thought this would be
fun - a "cannonball run" type scenario for the commute.

They didn't really go for it... yet!

Since I never have attended yet, I don't know if you have ever done
anything like I mention below. So, if you do, I apologize.

I'd like to see a Q and A panel on licensing, free culture, copyleft, etc.

The people participating in the audience are hand picked.
However, these aren't just your "average" people asking questions.

Someone could say: "I have a question about copyright" and it could be
Karl Fogel from Question Copyright.
Another might state: "I have a question about CC by 0" and it could be
someone from Creative commons.
Segue works.
"Speaking of Public Domain..." someone from Gutenberg could state. How
about Greg Newby (is he still in Alaska?) Someone could ask a question
such as: "What about licenses and Wikipedia?" - and it could be Jimmy
Wales asking. "What if I receive a copyright notification or cease and
desist order?" Chilling Effects' Wendy Seltzer could ask that.
Getting a bunch of these people might not be that difficult. Of
course, it would not be without challenge.

Something along those lines for a presentation set up would be cool.
After all the people have come up and asked their question, let it be
a panel answering audience questions.

Of course, my interests may not interest the audience of SCALE.
You might apply that technique to any other presentation, really. I
don't know if that would work with your culture though.

Another interesting format might be Then and Now.

For example:
Have a bunch of former journalists/editors from Linux mags/news meet
with current journalists/editors to talk about tech, culture, etc.
This way we can bridge the gap or at least hear some cool stories.

That could also be applied to different interests such as "Back in the
Day developers vs. Devs now." "Old Skool IRC vs. IRC now - IRC: When
we would actually chat"

Anyway, I am looking forward to SCALE.

If I end up carpooling, I will be really happy to take Don up on his
offer of "other than Denny's"!

:)