[linux-elitists] lowRISC -- fully open hardware systems

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Mon Aug 18 01:03:38 PDT 2014

Hi Eugen,

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 13:31:49 +0200
Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> http://www.lowrisc.org/
>
> lowRISC
> Open to the core
>
> lowRISC is producing fully open hardware systems. From the processor core to
> the development board, our goal is to create a completely open computing
> eco-system.
>
> Our open-source SoC (System-on-a-Chip) designs will be based on the 64-bit
> RISC-V instruction set architecture. Volume silicon manufacture is planned as
> is a low-cost development board.
>
> lowRISC is a not-for-profit organisation working closely with the University
> of Cambridge and the open-source community.

I had the very same idea about a fully open hardware arch a while ago and
mentioned it on IRC and elsewhere, so I'm glad it's being materialised.

I recently went on a trip to England and spent two days touring the campus of
the University of Cambridge, which is very lovely and with many interesting
people. Some anecdotes:

1. I realised there was a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Cam close by (And
Cambridge means the bridge on the river "Cam") which may have been the
inspiration for the name of http://firefly.wikia.com/wiki/River_Tam .

2. I ate a good meal at a very nice, but pricey, Chinese restaurant.

3. I saw a girl running, who had eyeglasses and a
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who shirt that read "Keep Calm, I'm a
doctor". I wouldn't be too surprised if she had a Ph.D. or even an M.D.

Cheers!

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish