[linux-elitists] CFD and CAD and USB3 laptops...

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Wed Sep 11 23:33:11 PDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 11:39:58PM +0100, Andy Bennett wrote:
> It's got a yellow USB connector so I think that means USB3.

My understanding is that yellow ports are "has power even when the laptop's
asleep" (for USB charging), while blue is USB3.  Any reasonably recent
Lenovo should have USB3 (my T420s has it, and I'm pretty sure the L series
work was buying before I told 'em to stop being cheapskates have 'em too,
but CBA to go and perve at someone's laptop to check).

> I thought the keyboard might not be as good as previous Lenovos because
> the X230 has the new chicklet type. However, the first time I used it I
> was totally sold and I'm super picky about keyboards: Thinkpad has been
> the only Laptop model I've ever got on with.

My wife has a T530 with chicklet style, and it's the key placement that
screws with my head.  PgUp/PgDn around the cursor keys, instead of up the
top-right where $DEITY intended?  <shudder>

I know, I know, two days with it and I'll learn to cope, but I don't
*wanna*, dammit.  I'll say this, though: the day they get rid of the
clitmouse is the day I'll be *totally* stuffed.  I loathe trackpads.  Moving
my hands from the home row is just so *wrong*.

- Matt

--
A byte walks into a bar and orders a pint. Bartender asks him "What's
wrong?" The byte says "Parity error." Bartender nods and says "Yeah, I