[linux-elitists] CFD and CAD and USB3 laptops...

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Wed Sep 11 18:37:48 PDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-09-11 at 13:17 -0700, Tony Godshall wrote:
> I've been a reasonably happy Core2duo user for a while, a dell with
> 4GB RAM and a hybrid SSD/HD serving me pretty well.  1920x1200 display
> was hard to give up.
[SNIP]
> So, anyone have any suggestions for what laptop to buy next?  I'm
> enjoying USB3 memory sticks (esp. the Sansa Extreme) so that's a
> requirement, and I want to keep the price down to about $1K or less.
> I'm going to keep my models small, so I don't imagine I need tens of
> gigs of RAM.  Hard drive is not required- I've already got a perfectly
> good 1TB SSD hybrid- so whatever is bundled is fine, or none at all.
> Small screen is OK if it has DisplayPort or dual-DVI-D.  Large screen
> with low resolution is not OK.  I generally run Debian but can
> tolerate Ubuntu or other APT-based distros...  what do you guys think?

Yes. I recently purchased a Lenovo T530. Equipped with the i7-3520M
(Dual processor not Quad). 8GB of RAM (16GB capable.) 500GB 7200RPM HD
(I haven't filled a 200GB drive in my daily use T61 in 6+ years,) a
1920x1080 by 15.6" Display, Web Cam, Has USB3 (and USB2). Has VGA out,
has mini-DVI out (most adapters work.) IWL Centrino 6300N Wireless,
Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 adapter. Wonderful backlit keyboard (at two
levels) and normal think-light. Very stereo audio and stereo mics that
work.

With all the fun stuff I got with it (Windows Pro, even though I'll
never use it). some DVI Adapter, New backpack and 4 year Accidental
Damage replacement)... $1520 shipping and tax included.

If I'd have stuck to the Things I needed, about $1027 shipping and tax
included.

I've got a T410 as a backup (purchased for $200)... they both take the
same docking station. Buying 2 of those, one for Home Office another for
the Out-of-the-home-Office.

So far, the IBM design influences and feel are still there in the
T-Series. Gladly have them. Keyboard and touchpad and pointer all work
as expected.

The only issue I have right this very moment is after Sid switched to
3.8.x, the Ricoh Co Ltd MMC/SD Host Controller Media Card Reader stopped
working... but evidently it is a known issue. 3.10.7-1 (Debian Sid)
hasn't fixed it yet. I've got an old USB Alcor Micro Corp. SD/MMC Card
Reader that does most of what I need for now.

All around a very nice machine for ~$1000. It is my new daily.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know
peace."
    -- Jimi Hendrix