[linux-elitists] Surveillance

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Sun Sep 8 09:58:33 PDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 08, 2013 at 09:52:38AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> "Small kernels" fall apart when they hit modern systems and real-world
> devices and scenarios.  It's as if people never learn from past
> mistakes, sad.  But it makes for nice research papers, so they continue
> to be worked on.

So I unfortunately do not disagree with what you're saying, although I can
also see how some people haven't given up and are still trying to have
systems that they can trust end to end as much as possible.

Out of curiosity, what's your stance? Do you just accept that no system you
can get is guaranteed to be secure on the hardware level, and hope someone
high up enough isn't after you?
(that's pretty much where I'm standing for lack of better choices)

But I can see how companies like my employer or now foreign governments who
don't trust anything coming from the US, or going through the US (like gmail
just having been banned for all use by Indian officials), would want to try
a bit harder, even if can seem like a losing battle if your opponent is
sufficiently funded and motivated.

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/